A new round of wind warnings have been issued for some areas of California. NBC's Brian Williams reports.
Winds calmed Monday, allowing work crews to make progress cleaning up after last week's wind storm that damaged homes across Southern California. But as thousands remained without power late Monday afternoon, a second wave of winds was expected Monday night, with gusts up to 45 mph.
At 8:30 p.m. ET, a wind advisory remained in effect until Tuesday afternoon for an area extending from north of Paso Robles to the southern part of the state.
Red-flag warnings — signaling wind and dry conditions that create a "critical" danger of fires — extended from north of Santa Barbara to south of Anaheim.
Almost 30,000 customers still had no power late Monday afternoon, Southern California Edison said. Large trees and other debris were blocking access to equipment, hampering repairs by the 273 SCE and contract crews working to restore service, it said.
"We've been working 24/7 to restore power from last week's major winds," SCE spokeswoman Lois Pitter Bruce told NBC station KNBC by email. "If all goes well, we should have 99.9 percent of customers restored by about 8 p.m. tonight."
The blackouts were the result of last week's unusual Santa Ana winds, which gusted up to 97 mph Wednesday and Thursday, knocking down trees and power lines in much of the region. The San Gabriel Valley and the Northeastern parts of Los Angeles were particularly hard hit.
In Pasadena, more than 42 buildings were red-tagged because of damage from the winds, meaning that they unsafe to live in.
"I have been with the city for over 32 years here, and I have never seen it to this degree — the widespread damage throughout the city," Pasadena Fire Chief Calvin Wells said. "It was getting out of hand at times, hard to keep up with."
NBC station KNBC-TV of Los Angeles contributed to this report by msnbc.com's Alex Johnson.
More news and feature stories from msnbc.com: