McALLEN, Texas -- Authorities say a 10-year-old boy shot by his mother during a standoff at a Texas welfare office has died.
Laredo police spokesman Joe Baeza says Timothy Grimmer died Thursday at a San Antonio hospital. His 12-year-old sister died of her wounds on Wednesday.
Police say their mother, Rachelle Grimmer, shot the children and then killed herself Monday following a standoff with police at a welfare office where they had been denied food stamps.
Also on this case:
The Texas Department of Health and Human Services says the agency rejected Rachelle Grimmer's application because she didn't submit enough information.
Read more content from msnbc.com and NBC News:
- Va. Tech staff, students: Shooting brings back '4/16'
- Lawsuit settled: No tuxes, dresses at graduation
- Thais divided by anti-free speech crackdown
- Former prisoners: Blagojevich faces rude awakening
- Now what, as Senate blocks consumer nominee?