RADFORD, Va.-- A friend says the man who authorities say killed a Virginia Tech police officer had visited a shooting range this year but hadn't gone for several months because he didn't have bullets for his gun.
Matt Dailey tells The Roanoke Times that he considered 22-year-old Ross Truett Ashley his best friend. Authorities say Ashley killed police officer Deriek Crouse on the Virginia Tech campus while the officer made a traffic stop, then killed himself not long after.
Dailey says the two had made two or three trips to the shooting range — the same one used by Seung-Hui Cho, the gunman who killed 32 people and then himself on the campus in 2007.
However, Dailey dismissed any comparisons between Cho and his friend.
More content from msnbc.com and NBC News:
- NBC: Pakistan says US drones in its air space will be shot down
- Romney and Gingrich spar early at GOP debate
- 2011's weather disasters rack up $12 billion bill
- Giant Eurobank accused of gouging US consumers
- Mugabe still thunders at foes, but can he really rule forever?
- Security goes private as US military leaves Iraq