POCATELLO, Idaho -- Three-week-old twins found unconscious after sleeping in bed with their mother died of accidental suffocation, a coroner has ruled.
Bannock County Coroner Kim Quick determined the deaths of Gabriel R. and Tryce E. Medrano were accidental, the Idaho State Journal reported Saturday.
Pocatello police and emergency personnel found the twin boys unresponsive after responding to a 911 call at the apartment of the babies’ mother, Kiarra Kimbel, on Nov. 21. The boys were pronounced dead on arrival at a hospital.
“I would like to caution those that sleep with their infants, that this is an unsafe practice," Quick said, according to the State Journal.
The rate of infant deaths from accidental suffocation in bed has quadrupled in the two decades from 1984 to 2004, according to the study published in the February issue of Pediatrics.
More content from msnbc.com and NBC News