Discuss as:

'Felt so bad for what happened': Ex-Rutgers student testifies in webcam trial

LIVE VIDEO — Testimony resumes in the trial of a former Rutgers student accused of using a webcam to spy on his roommate's intimate encounter with another man.

Updated at 1:58 p.m. ET: NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. -- A former Rutgers University student told jurors Tuesday she was “sad, overwhelmed” when police told her that Tyler Clementi had gone missing and might have committed suicide after she had watched his intimate encounter with another man via webcam.

"I was sad, overwhelmed. I felt very bad if anything had happened," Molly Wei said. "I just was overwhelmed with emotions of sadness. I just felt so bad for what happened."

Wei told jurors that while she viewed live images of Clementi's encounter, she neither recorded nor broadcast that video.

Wei was on the stand for the second day in the bias intimidation and invasion of privacy trial of former student Dharun Ravi.

Clementi, who was Ravi's roommate, committed suicide days after the spying in September 2010.

John O'Boyle / The Star-Ledger via AP

Molly Wei testifies on Monday in a New Brunswick, N.J., courtroom.

Ravi faces 15 criminal charges, including invasion of privacy and bias intimidation.

Wei entered a program to keep her record clean if she complies with a list of conditions, including truthful testimony.

On Tuesday, Wei detailed her statements to police.

She said campus police called her, then picked her up in an unmarked car after class on Sept. 23, 2010 — after Clementi went missing.

At first, she said, she was nervous about being told to get into a beige Cadillac and texted her boyfriend at another school to get in touch with police if he didn't hear from her within several hours.

She said that what she learned there rattled her so much that she had her parents take her home for the night.

"At the end of the conversation, the police officers told me that Tyler was missing and that he had possibly committed suicide," she said.

She said that a few days later, she contacted authorities after learning that Ravi had sent Twitter messages telling followers to video chat with him when Clementi wanted the room to himself again.

She said she gave a brief statement about that, then was arrested and charged with invasion of privacy.

'It felt wrong'
On Monday, Wei said she and Ravi watched the streaming images from his computer after Clementi asked to have the dorm room to himself so he could have company.

"First of all, it was shocking. It felt wrong. We didn't expect to see that. And now that what we did, it was like we shouldn't have seen it," Wei said in testimony Monday. "We didn't want people to know what had happened."

But, Wei testified, within minutes, she and Ravi were online chatting with friends about seeing two men kissing. And within the hour, Wei said, she agreed to show a few seconds of the video stream to four other women who visited her dorm room. Still, she said, Ravi didn't seem to intend to humiliate or intimidate Clementi.

That could be a key issue because to convict Ravi of bias intimidation, a hate crime punishable by up to 10 years in prison, prosecutors will have to convince the jury that Ravi acted out of bias toward gays.

Both times she saw the stream, Wei said, Clementi and another man were standing in front of Clementi's desk kissing. And both times, she said, she saw only seconds.

"It was the exact same image except that they had taken their tops off," she said of the second viewing, which she said was done at the request of one of several other students who visited her room. "As soon as they saw it, I turned it off."

On cross-examination from Ravi's lawyer, she said that there was no plan to humiliate or intimidate Clementi.

Also expected to testify on Tuesday is the student resident assistant whom Clementi told about the alleged spying.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

More content from msnbc.com and NBC News