Robert Mecea / AP
Part of the floor that collapsed in a building in Queens, N.Y., is seen early Sunday.
The third floor of an apartment building in the Rockaway neighborhood of Queens, New York, collapsed during a party late Saturday night, injuring 12 people, emergency officials told NBC News.
The Fire Department / EMS press office told NBC that the third floor caved into the second floor and that all of the victims appeared to have been on the third floor. Officials said only two were taken to the hospital and the rest were evaluated at the scene.
Emergency officials told NBC that eight of the victims had to be extracted by New York firefighters.
The apartment building is in the 400 block of Beach 72nd Street.
Earlier tweets had said that an object appeared to have fallen from an aircraft and hit the building.
More content from msnbc.com and NBC News
- Santorum: If I win Illinois, I win nomination
- Ninth-grader says teacher told him to read Langston Hughes poem 'blacker'
- MEGA Millions lottery jackpot rises to $241 million
- Law firm employees: We were fired for wearing orange shirts for happy hour
- Porn industry to Rick Santorum: Butt out