PHOENIX, Ariz. – Police were searching Saturday for a gunman who shot a shot and killed a Walmart store employee during a robbery.
The victim, 47-year-old support manager Peter Marquez, was killed shortly after midnight Saturday at the west Phoenix Walmart Supercenter, The Associated Press reported.
Police spokesman Sgt. Tommy Thompson said two employees were collecting cash from the store's registers and placing it in a shopping cart when a man with a handgun came up. The gunman grabbed the cart and began pushing it out of the store as other employees were alerted to the robbery.
Marquez was outside with another employee and they ran to the front doors, Thompson said. As they approached, the robber with the cart shot Marquez. The gunman escaped on foot, crossing a street and jumping a fence into a residential area, azcentral.com reported.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
More content from msnbc.com and NBC News:
- Task force hunts shooter in Tulsa killing spree
- 'Very fortunate': Nobody reported missing after Navy jet crash
- Teen student dumps ex-teacher after his arrest
- Texas teen to become first American to graduate from Bolshoi
- Cops: Dad dies after shielding son, 8, from bullets