Las Vegas police say a 9-year-old boy showed up at his elementary school on Monday and told the staff that his mom and sister were dead at home, just a half-mile away, according to local media reports.
According to the Las Vegas Sun, police headed to the child's West Las Vegas home to discover a grisly scene: Two dead bodies, an injured man covered in blood and 4-year-old boy.
The bodies were described as an adult female and a minor, also a female, the Sun reported. The man suffered from unspecified injuries; the 4-year-old was unharmed, according to the Sun.
Police described the 9-year-old as distressed, but uninjured when he showed up for class at Hoggard Elementary School and told the about his family's fate, the Sun reported.
No further information was available; police are still investigating the double slaying.
More content from msnbc.com and NBC News:
- Romney's hot-mic moment: I'll shrink federal agencies
- Tough for Zimmerman to get fair trail, defense attorney says
- Maryland: A dead snakehead is a good snakehead
- 'Pray in sorrow': Search for 4 missing California sailors called off
- 'He was a good daddy': Father, daughters among 5 killed by tornadoes
- Illinois man drowns in pond following swan attack