They don't teach you this in gun safety class: A man in Roanoke, Va., shot himself in the hand while in class -- and then the bullet continued on and struck his wife in the leg.
Michael Deel, 54, and Michelle Deel, 49, were treated at a local hospital, Roanoke.com reported.
Bedford County Sheriff's deputies responded to a call from the firearms safety class taught by Thomas Starke, who had briefly left the room when the shooting happened.
About five people were at the class last Saturday when Michael Deel fired the .45 caliber handgun, deputies said.
An investigation was opened, though Michael Deel called it a "stupid accident," according to The Associated Press.
More content from msnbc.com and NBC News:
- Harlem shootout after girl, 13, killed, mom hurt
- For John Edwards, an unexpected opening
- California voters to consider ending capital punishment
- Baltimore brothers seek to delay beating trial
- Mexican immigration to US at a standstill
- Sanford police chief's resignation rejected