Police are trying to determine what killed a 6-month-old baby who was found dead inside a refrigerator at a Houston apartment, NBC station KPRC reported.
Police said they got a suicidal call from a man about 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, KPRC reported.
More from the KPRC report:
Officers said the man refused to let them into his apartment when they arrived. A neighbor saw what was going on and panicked because she knew a baby was inside.
"I got a hold of maintenance and they ended up kicking the door in," neighbor Evette Williams said. "Found the guy laying on the floor and no baby."
Police said it was obvious that a child lived there.
"There were some items that were indicative that a child was living there at some point," Sgt. Ora Chandler said.
Detectives ended up finding a baby boy, about 6 months old, inside the refrigerator. He was wrapped in a blanket and wearing clothing.
The father was hospitalized with self-inflicted injuries and was being held under guard.
More content from msnbc.com and NBC News:
- What is torture? Ex-CIA official wades into debate
- Neo-Nazi who killed family described as 'cruel,' 'controlling'
- 'Jetman' takes spectacular flight over Rio
- Police: Boastful motorcyclist's 170 mph joy ride ends in arrest
- Solution found for dead cows stuck in mountain cabin: saws