A roofing contractor fell 40 feet through a roof and into a vat of acid in northern New Jersey and a co-worker jumped into to save him Monday morning, a fire official says.
The men were working on the roof of a manufacturing plant in Clifton, N.J., when a section of the roof collapsed and the first worker fell through, landing in a tank of nitric acid solution used in making tubing, Clifton Fire Chief Vincent Colavitti told The Record.
His co-worker went in to help him.
“It takes a lot of courage,” The Record quoted Colavitti as saying. “He saw one of his co-workers in trouble and he jumped in after him.”
More content from msnbc.com and NBC News:
- 14-year-old suspected in nearly 100 Tenn. burglaries
- Biden: I'm 'absolutely comfortable' with gay marriage
- Two American hikers jailed in Iran wed in California
- Body found at Churchill Downs; foul play suspected
- Video: Family flees as sinkhole swallows backyard