The FBI released this image of Stephen Ivens.
Police are searching for an FBI agent said to be despondent and possibly suicidal and who was last seen by family on Thursday night.
Stephen Ivens, 35, was reported missing Friday morning from his home in the 1700 block of Scott Road in Burbank.
Laura Eimiller, an FBI spokeswoman, confirmed the man is an FBI agent assigned to FBI's Los Angeles division.
Police, meanwhile, were searching the hillside areas around Burbank and said a gun that he had in the house is unaccounted for. Police believe he might have walked into the area of the Verdugo mountains.
Multiple local agencies are investigating, in addition to the Burbank Police Department and the FBI.
More content from msnbc.com and NBC News:
- Outrage, calls for action over anti-Muslim military course
- Florida woman gets 20 years over warning shot
- Video: 31 years later, a confession to murder
- Cities: Occupy protests cost taxpayers millions
- 'Tripawed' the 3-legged grizzly returns to Denali
- Houston reporter fired for stripping files discrimination complaint
- Son defies odds to walk into returning soldier's arms