Courtesy of Mahwah Police Department
New Jersey police are trying to identify a man found wandering naked through a forested area Sunday afternoon.
Updated at 5:56 p.m. ET:-- Police in Mahwah, N.J., have identified the man found wandering naked and covered in mud through a forested area off Route 202 Sunday afternoon, officials said Monday.
According to NJ.com, Mahwah Police Chief James N. Batelli identified the man as 36-year-old Russell J. Cox of Ocean, N.J.
New Jersey police asked the public’s help in trying to identify the man, who police said was covered in mud and couldn’t provide any information about his identity or where he was coming from, NJ.com reported.
The man had no signs of injuries, Batelli told msnbc.com, but had been taken to Bergen Regional Medical Center for an evaluation. Police found a pile of clothes nearby that may belong to the man and some paperwork from New York State, but no identifying documents were found.
Cox was released into the custody of a family member Monday afternoon, NJ.com reported.
"The family member was able to offer some insight into the actions of Mr. Cox which will be addressed by his family," Batelli told NJ.com.
Authorities still do not know how Cox ended up north of Ocean, N.J.
More content from msnbc.com and NBC News:
- Slow-moving storm Debby drenches Florida
- Calif. teacher, 4 students arrested over alleged hazing
- Police officer shot dead at jazz concert in Denver park
- Video: Florida residents take golf carts to the streets
- Marchers fill streets as cities across US celebrate gay pride
- NY GOP lawmakers targeted over gay marriage vote