A three-year-old California boy was rushed to the hospital Saturday morning after apparently eating marijuana-laced cookies.
The family believes the boy got into his grandmother’s stash of chocolate-chip pot cookies, tucked away in a garage refrigerator, one day earlier.
The family called police around 10:30 a.m. the next day when the toddler would not wake up after a long night’s sleep, and they realized he may have eaten the cookies, according to a press release from the Murrieta Police Department.
The boy’s grandmother, who had been diagnosed with cancer, had a doctor’s recommendation for medical marijuana to treat her pain and help her sleep, Sgt. Phil Gomez told The Press-Enterprise newspaper.
The boy’s aunt was babysitting him and his younger sibling Friday while the father was away, Gomez said. When the father returned that afternoon, he noticed crumbs on the garage floor and assumed the child’s grandmother had been into the cookies, the Press-Enterprise reported.
The boy fell asleep around 5 p.m., Gomez said. The family didn’t become concerned until the next morning, however, when they couldn’t wake him up.
At that point, Gomez said, the father mentioned noticing the crumbs and decided to call police.
The boy was admitted to a local hospital for observation and later released.
It is not known how much the boy ate, but the child’s grandmother said a silver-dollar-size bite had been enough to make her sleep, the Press-Enterprise reported.
“It’s unfortunate that they didn’t take better steps to keep those cookies out of reach of the child,” Gomez said. “[The grandmother] claims she’s not going to make them ever again.”
Police have not released the names of the family members and said the investigation is ongoing. No arrests have been made.
Investigators are awaiting the results of a toxicology test. If traces of marijuana are found in the boy’s system, Gomez said, family members could potentially face a child endangerment charge.
More content from msnbc.com and NBC News:
- Independence Day irony: PTSD has many vets dreading, avoiding fireworks
- Storms, dangerous heat to continue into July 4, and beyond
- Kansas City cop accused of sex with women in exchange for no arrest
- Motorcyclist killed on way to memorial for another biker who died in crash
- Video: Dual-engine failure caused jet crash