PELHAM, N.H. -- Nine people, including two children, were injured when fireworks exploded at a home on Tuesday evening.
Neighbors say they heard an explosion and saw a fireball light the night sky.
"I just heard an explosion. It sounded like fireworks -- a big supply of them blew up," said Peter Catanzano, a neighbor.
"It was a big, orange mushroom cloud. That's what it looked like," said Taylor Jackson, a neighbor.
'Stretchers on the front lawn'
Medical crews rushed to the scene and helicopters took the most severely injured, including two young children, to the hospital.
"There were so many ambulances and fire trucks and cop cars everywhere, people running around,” Jackson said. “There were stretchers on the front lawn for people that got hurt."
Neighbors say the Dodge Road fireworks display is an annual tradition, but for some the fireworks, usually kept under the deck, ignited.
"Somehow this whole bunch of fireworks exploded and the porch is gone, and a portion of the side of the house," said Barbara Catanzano, a neighbor.
Among those rushed to the hospital was one of the homeowner’s adult children, a firefighter.
More content from msnbc.com and NBC News:
- Kids cross border alone, fleeing drugs and games
- Fire evacuation sparks panicked pet exodus
- Inmate serving life sentence won't be charged in killing of another prisoner
- Independence Day irony: PTSD has many vets dreading, avoiding fireworks
- Could you pass the US citizenship test?
- T-shirt fundraiser for wildfire relief takes off
- Video: Casino seeks machine gun range
- The doctor will see you now, for $5