A staffer working at the Obama campaign headquarters in Chicago collapsed and died, the Chicago Tribune reported Saturday, citing campaign officials.
Paramedics were dispatched shortly before 11 a.m. on Friday to attend to Alexander Okrent, 29, after he became unconscious, the report said, citing a Chicago Fire Department spokesman.
He was pronounced dead at 11:45 a.m., the report said. Police were not called because the incident did not appear suspicious, but an autopsy was scheduled to determine the cause of death, it said.
President Barack Obama, who was campaigning in Virginia, called Okrent’s family to offer condolences, the Tribune said, citing campaign officials.
Okrent's LinkedIn profile describes him as a paid media and polling regional director at Obama for America and shows that he has worked in a variety of capacities for the Obama campaign since 2003-2004.
More content from msnbc.com and NBC News:
- Colorado: Dentist reused needles; thousands at HIV risk
- Expert: Penn State report ups legal risk for former president
- 5-mile-long landslide in Alaska national park; warming eyed as culprit
- Same-sex couple fights to stop deportation
- Family fulfills dying man's wish: $500 tip for waitress
- Missing New York woman found alive after 'girl with this phone is dead' text
- Man becomes cop to honor murdered brother
- Video: Twitter account used to bully students shut down