LOS ANGELES -- More than a 20 people, including some teenagers, suffered respiratory irritations and burn injuries Saturday evening after exposure to "theatrical fog vapor'' at a pre-party for the Teen Choice Awards in Hollywood, a city fire official said.
Witnesses said the incident at the Avalon Hollywood resulted in chaos, calling to mind for a panicked moment Friday's shooting massacre at a movie theater in Aurora, Colo.
The incident was reported at 6:04 p.m. at 1735 N. Vine St. (map), Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department said.
Rescuers believe a special-effect fog system caused the injuries. Most victims felt better after fresh air and examination, Humphrey said.
"Along with respiratory irritation, a few patrons who contacted dripping liquid from apparent heavy use of smoke effect have superficial burn (injuries),'' Humphrey said.
Six people were taken to hospitals in unspecified condition. A total of 22 patients were assessed, according to Humphrey.
A hazmat team was investigating, Humphrey said.
The party was called off after the incident, he added.
Vine Street was closed between Franklin Avenue and Hollywood Boulevard while the group was assessed, he said.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- Victims who died include girl, sailor, aspiring sportscaster
- Police: Trip wire, bomb disarmed at suspect's apartment
- Photos of James Holmes, camp counselor for underprivileged kids
- Shooting survivor: Boyfriend 'took a bullet for me'
- FBI: Missing Iowa girls believed to be alive