In his first hours of freedom following a two-month stint behind bars, a North Carolina man didn't even make it past the jail grounds before getting thrown back in.
Rockingham County Sheriff's Offi
Rodney Dwayne Valentine faces 75 more days in jail for trespassing after refusing to leave.
Rodney Dwayne Valentine, 37, who has no permanent address, had been in Rockingham County jail since May 22 for injury to personal property, Rockingham County Sheriff's Office Deputy Kevin Suthard said.
He was released last Saturday around 8 a.m. but stuck around for five hours arguing with officers, insisting they drive him to a motel. They refused.
"We can't transport everybody that gets out of jail," Suthard told NBC News.
Valentine was charged with second-degree trespassing and is being held on $500 bail. He could face up to 75 more days in jail and a fine.
"It takes all kinds. That's the reason why our job is never boring in law enforcement," Suthard said.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- Synthetic drug raids: 90 arrested, $36M seized
- Woman charged with cashing mummified friend's checks
- Shotgun pellet's 'miracle' path through brain spares woman
- Areas in worst drought categories rise 50 percent
- Video shows child's rescue from hot car
- NJ state troopers may face charges in 'Death Race 2012' escort