Discuss as:

Sikh leaders allowed to return to temple four days after shooting

Jeffrey Phelps / AP

Members of the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin wash items as they return for the first time in Oak Creek on Thursday.

Four days after a gunman killed six people and critically injured three others at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin, community leaders were allowed Thursday to return to their place of worship.

Authorities returned the keys for the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin in Oak Creek, Wis., around 9 a.m., community leader Inderjeet Singh Dhillon said. 

Religious leaders and parishioners keep searching for answers following the Sunday tragedy that took the lives of five men and one woman. FBI Special Agent in Charge Teresa Carlson said during a Wednesday news conference that investigators have not yet "clearly defined a motive."

Wade Michael Page was identified Monday by authorities as the sole shooter at the temple. Authorities said the 40-year-old former Army sergeant entered the gurdwara armed with a 9mm semiautomatic handgun.

Read the original story at NBCChicago.com

The FBI said Page died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head after he was shot by police. He originally was reported to have died from wounds inflicted by a Wisconsin police officer who fired on the man during an exchange of bullets.

Stay informed with the latest headlines; sign up for our newsletter

On Sunday, police arrested Page's ex-girlfriend, Misty Cook, 31, who was taken into custody after police said an illegal gun was found in the home she at one point shared with him.

A public joint memorial service will be held Friday at Oak Creek High School for the six people who were killed. The Justice Department says Attorney General Eric Holder will speak at the service. Private gatherings will follow, before the bodies are cremated, according to WUWM News.

Froedtert Medical Center provided an update Thursday of the three people being treated for gunshot wounds. Brian Murphy, an Oak Creek police officer who was shot multiple times, is progressing well and has been upgraded to satisfactory condition. Santokh Singh, 50, suffered a single gunshot wound that penetrated his chest, diaphragm, stomach and liver. All of his injuries were repaired in two surgeries and he is recovering well. His condition has been upgraded to serious. Pubnjab Singh, 65, suffered a single gunshot wound to the face that caused facial fractures and damage to his right carotid and vertebral artery. There is evidence he also may have subsequently suffered a stroke. He requires mechanical support to breathe and remains in critical condition.

More content from NBCNews.com:

Follow US News from NBCNews.com on Twitter and Facebook