Authorities in greater New Orleans say two young children have been recovered unharmed from a car where a male driver and female passenger were found dead with multiple gunshot wounds.
Spokesman Glen T. Boyd says the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office received the report around 1 a.m. EDT Saturday about a car that had been shot multiple times just off a highway in Avondale, southwest of New Orleans. Bullet casings were scattered across the road and there were several bullet holes on the exterior of the car.
"Multiple bullet casings line the highway," Boyd said, according to NOLA.com. He added that no suspects have been identified at this time.
The male and female were pronounced dead at the scene. The children who survived were a 4-year-old girl and a boy approximately 4 months old.
The victims' identities were being withheld pending notification of family members.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- Undocumented immigrants confront author of strict immigration laws
- Video: What would you pack before fleeing wildfire?
- College to segregate students with gun permits
- Mystery Powerball jackpot winner leaves Michigan town abuzz
- Emory University: False academic data sent to ranking groups