A young man known as "Victim 1" and who testified against former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky is suing the university claiming it cared more for its reputation than it did about child safety. NBC's Lester Holt reports.
HARRISBURG, Pa. -- A young man who testified against Jerry Sandusky sued Penn State on Friday for its "deliberate and shameful" handling of complaints that the former assistant football coach behaved inappropriately and sexually toward boys.
The suit filed by the person known as Victim 1 at Sandusky's trial said university officials made deliberate decisions not to report Sandusky to authorities.
It described their actions as "a function of (Penn State's) purposeful, deliberate and shameful subordination of the safety of children to its economic self-interests, and to its interest in maintaining and perpetuating its reputation."
Craig Houtz / Reuters
Second Mile founder and assistant Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky attends a Second Mile Easter egg hunt in State College, Pennsylvania, in this April 8, 1990 file photo.
The complaint was filed electronically in Philadelphia state court Friday night, Slade McLaughlin, a lawyer for Victim 1, told The Associated Press. The young man's initial accusations sparked the investigation that led to criminal charges against Sandusky and two university officials.
Sandusky, 68, was convicted in June of 45 criminal counts for sexual abuse of boys, both on and off campus. He awaits sentencing that will likely send him to prison for the rest of his life.
Victim 1 and his mother reported Sandusky to the boy's high school and the Clinton County child protective agency in November 2009. Their complaint triggered the state investigation that last year resulted in the criminal charges.
Former Penn State administrator Gary Schultz and athletic director Tim Curley, who is on leave, were charged with perjury and failure to report suspected child abuse. Both deny the allegations and are expected to go on trial in January.
Famed football coach Joe Paterno was fired. He died last January.
The suit draws heavily from court testimony, grand jury investigations and Penn State's own investigative report, conducted by former FBI director Louis Freeh. The report details how university officials handled the claims against Sandusky and Sandusky's behavior. Victim 1 is known as "John Doe C" in the complaint. The suit names no other defendants than the State College university.
- Expert: Penn state report ups legal risk for former president
- Penn state report: What it says about Sandusky's associates
- Penn state faces more fallout from sex abuse scandal
University spokesman Dave La Torre said the school has no comment on the pending litigation.
"The university takes these cases very seriously," La Torre said, adding that the current president and board "have publicly emphasized that their goal is to find solutions that rest on the principle of justice for the victims."
The suit claimed that a "special relationship" between Penn State and The Second Mile, a Sandusky-founded charity for youth, gave Sandusky a respectable public image and connections that enabled him to perform criminal acts.
The young man known as "Victim 2" in the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse case spoke out for the first time through his attorneys about how the former Penn State coach abused him and stalked him with phone messages. NBC's Ron Allen reports.
It alleged "(Penn State) believed its reputation and economic interests would be adversely impacted if the public learned that a man closely associated with the school's football program was, in fact, a pedophile."
The Second Mile's future remains uncertain, subject to a legal dispute.
According to the lawsuit, Victim 1 met Sandusky about eight years ago, when the boy was 11 and a first-year participant in a camp sponsored by The Second Mile. In his second year, the boy drew Sandusky's attention and accepted invitations to spend nights at the coach's State College home and to attend professional sports events, the suit said.
Over a three-year period ending in 2008, the suit said, Sandusky assaulted the boy more than 100 times, including fondling and oral sex. The lawsuit claims Sandusky attacked "numerous victims over a span of 30 years," but noted that his criminal trial was limited to a 15-year period and 10 victims.
Following Victim 1's testimony, Sandusky was convicted of all six counts that related to him, including involuntary deviate sexual intercourse for instances of oral sex.
The suit alleged negligence, fraudulent concealment, intentional infliction of emotional distress and civil conspiracy. It said Victim 1 has suffered physical and emotional injuries and will likely need medical and psychological help well into his future. The suit seeks compensatory and punitive damages.
Another Sandusky accuser has filed a federal lawsuit related to the scandal and a second victim has filed a court notice that he will file complaint. Lawyers have suggested others may take legal action.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- 2 dead, 9 injured in shooting near Empire State Building
- Panel calls for better care, protections for wounded troops
- Report offers a roadmap for America's national parks
- Undocumented mom risks life in US to join immigration fight
- Video: Did ex-SEAL sell out with bin Laden tell-all?
- Video: Missing teen escapes from captor of two years