Connecticut State Police are investigating after a child accidentally shot an adult inside a home in Prospect, officials told NBCConnecticut.com.
The victim, Anthony J. Delucia, was shot in the chest by a seven-year-old neighbor. The young boy accidentally shot Delucia with a small caliber handgun. The gun is legally registered to Delucia, said police.
Delucia was taken to St. Mary's Hospital where he is listed in stable condition.
According to Mayor Robert J. Chatfield, Delucia is the town's local trash man.
"He is loved by everyone in town," said Chatfield.
State Police spokesman Lt. J. Paul Vance said he believes no charges will be filed and the investigation is still ongoing.
Police and detectives from the Connecticut State Police Central Major Crime Squad responded to the scene.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- 2 dead, 9 injured in shooting near Empire State Building
- Panel calls for better care, protections for wounded troops
- Report offers a roadmap for America's national parks
- Undocumented mom risks life in US to join immigration fight
- Video: Did ex-SEAL sell out with bin Laden tell-all?
- Video: Missing teen escapes from captor of two years