A man accidentally fell to his death from an escalator at Reliant Stadium in Houston on Thursday night during a preseason game between the Houston Texans and the Minnesota Vikings, officials said.
"There has been an accident involving a patron falling from an escalator at Reliant Stadium this evening. The patron was transported to an area hospital. An investigation is ongoing," read a statement released Thursday by stadium officials.
Witnesses told police the man fell from the fifth floor to the ground level, Houston Police Department spokesperson Jodi Silva told NBC News Friday. The man is believed to be about 25 years old, authorities said.
The man, who has not been identified, died in a Houston emergency room after being brought in around 8:30 p.m. local time, a spokesperson for the Harris County medical examiner's office told NBC News.
An autopsy and a toxicology report are scheduled for Friday.
Police are treating the incident as an accidental death, Silva said. Circumstances of what the man was doing at the time of the fall are not clear.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- Isaac could be blessing and curse in drought areas
- US ends investigation of terror detainees' deaths without charges
- NY priest apologizes for saying child is often seducer in sex abuse cases
- Ex-Navy SEAL: Book on bin Laden raid about 9/11, not politics
- Tough-minded judge assigned to take over George Zimmerman case
- One of most dangerous cities in US plans to ditch police force
- Ex-Marine Angela Madsen on her journey from homelessness to the Paralympics
- 400,000 students face disruption after Chicago teachers vote to strike