Discuss as:

One suspect dead after SWAT team in Washington state is fired on, police say

UPDATED at 3:55 a.m. ET: Authorities searched for a possible second gunman early Monday after at least one shooter wounded one man, then opened fire on a SWAT team and police officers before being found dead during a manhunt in woods north of Seattle.

The officers were fired upon Sunday afternoon as they responded to reports of a shooting in a driveway Arlington, Wash. They found a man with a non-life threatening injury.

According to The Seattle Times, spokesman Steve Dittoe of Snohomish County Sheriff’s office said SWAT officers arrived within 10 minutes of the shooting and "our armored vehicle was hit several times" by rounds of gunfire.

Linda Purtteman, who lives near the home in Arlington said a neighbor told her that people in the area were urged to stay indoors.

She told the Times that she heard gunshots, but was unfazed by them.

"I have a few neighbors who go shooting a lot out here, so I didn't think anything of it," she said.

Complete US News coverage on NBCNews.com

"We were told to stay away from the windows, but the whole front of my house is a window," Purtteman told the newspaper.

Precautionary search for possible second suspect
A man later was found dead and a weapon was recovered, Snohomish County Sheriff's spokeswoman Shari Ireton said late Sunday. But nearby residents were told to leave their homes as a precaution as authorities searched for a possible second suspect, Ireton said.

Vehicles were found with bullet holes on more than one side, the Times reported.

"At this point, we're still assuming there's a second suspect. We are combing through property and buildings just to double-check before we start letting people back to their houses," Ireton told The Associated Press.

About 70 people at a Sons of Norway camp at nearby Riley Lake were in lockdown late Sunday, according to King 5, NBC News’ Seattle affiliate.

Read KING 5's reporting on the incident

"We all just banded together and made sure that we let everybody know what was going on. and told everybody to get out of the pool and the lake and not be out in the open field and everybody's just been kind of waiting to hear updates," camper Berit Kuchs told King 5.

There were no reports of other injuries. Arlington is about 50 miles north of Seattle.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

More content from NBCNews.com: