A man is in custody and charged with the throat-slashing attack that killed a little boy and left his sister in critical condition in Camden, N.J., prosecutors said.
Osvaldo Rivera, 31, of Camden, was arrested Sunday afternoon and charged with murder and attempted murder, said Jason Laughlin, a spokesman for the Camden County prosecutor's office, The Associated Press reported. Rivera is in jail awaiting arraignment.
Dominick Andujor, 6, died from his injuries. His 12-year-old sister was in critical condition at Cooper Hospital.
The children were asleep when they were attacked early Sunday morning at their home on Ware Street, according to NBCPhiladelphia.com.
The girl, whose name was not released, went door to door in her Camden neighborhood to get help and finally reached the home of Nakyta McCray, who called 911. McCray said the girl "was barely breathing'' and bleeding profusely when emergency personnel arrived, NBCPhiladelphia.com reported.
Authorities say the children were being watched by a 14-year-old girl when the attack happened, according to AP. She was unharmed.
The Associated Press and NBCPhiladelphia.com contributed to this story.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- Russell Crowe gets lost kayaking off Long Island
- 2 dead, 6 wounded after shooting at Sweet 16 birthday party
- Flood threat from troubled canal lock near New Orleans eases
- Hundreds take part in 'March on Wall Street South' in Charlotte
- Deputy shoots, kills 'out-of-control' inmate at hospital
- Video: Recipes revealed for White House's homebrewed beers