NEW ORLEANS -- A 57-year-old New Orleans man was accidentally shot and fatally injured by his wife who mistook him for an intruder, police said Monday.
The shooting occurred about 11 a.m. Monday (noon ET) in the 5800 block of North Claiborne Ave. in the Lower 9th Ward.
Police said the man, named by the Times Picayune newspaper as Charles Williams, died at the hospital.
No charges were immediately filed in the investigation.
The newspaper said the man's 53-year-old wife was not arrested.
Williams' daughter said the family was too upset to talk about what happened, the newspaper reported.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- No negative impacts from repeal of 'don't ask, don't tell', study finds
- His American Dream is dead, killed by the recession
- Catholic college course scrutinized for calling homosexuality deviant
- Quiet time: NYC's 9/11 memorial at dusk
- SEAL explains why bin Laden was dangerous when killed
- Video: Police release video from Sikh shooting
- 'Jew Pond' name officially changed on US maps