A 12-year-old northeast Kansas boy is being held on rape charges in Brown County, authorities say.
Brown County Attorney Kevin Hill said Friday the Hiawatha boy was charged in county District Court last week on two counts of rape and two counts of aggravated criminal sodomy. Hiawatha is the county seat of Brown County, which has a population of about 10,000.
Hill told NBC News the crimes occurred in the last 60 days. He said the victim is a 5-year-old girl.
"At this time I have no further comment on the case," Hill told NBC News. He would not say where the boy was being held until his Oct. 9 hearing.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- Video: Anti-American protests continue in Egypt
- Slide show: Protests rock Mideast, Asia and northeast Africa
- Women face stubborn wage gap as wages fall for everyone
- Could Rahm Emanuel deal blow to teachers union everywhere?
- Family of 77-year-old dragged from car demand apology from Texas cop
- Ex-Navy SEAL killed in Libya attack a highly trained pilot, marksman
- 'I don't want to die': NJ supermarket shooting terror laid out in 911 calls