View more videos at: http://nbcmiami.com.
A man who tried to steal undershirts valued at $16 from a Wal-Mart in Margate, Fla., shot and killed a loss prevention employee there Friday evening, police said.
Lewis Jhon, 49, of Coral Springs, was pronounced dead at North Broward Medical Center after the shooting at about 7:15 p.m., Margate Police Lt. Andy Zettek said.
Hollywood resident Terrell Kennith Johnson, 22, was identified as the subject. He fled on foot, and police said they later found what they believed to be his body, which appeared to have a self-inflicted gunshot wound, Zettek said.
Johnson was found on the 500 block of NW 51st Avenue, he said.
The incident began when Johnson tried to steal packages of white undershirts at the Wal-Mart at 555 W. Atlantic Blvd in Margate, Zettek said. Jhon detained him, and at some point Johnson shot Jhon near the front entrance of the store, Zettek said.
“Everybody was scared that something was going to happen to them," witness Edward Jorgenson said of when people heard the gunshots in the store.
A woman was also taken into custody but her involvement in the incident is unknown.
After the shooting, police from Sunrise, Margate, Coconut Creek and Plantation converged on the scene, and a helicopter flew in the area searching for the suspect.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- For first time, gay marriage may win statewide vote
- Three Aurora shooting victims suing Cinemark' theater to reopen in 2013
- From sports shoes to bomb shields: the odd detour of a key US military material
- Pennsylvania couple charged with selling neighbor's dog on Craigslist
- Video: Bronx Zoo: Tiger did not bite to kill in attack
- Empty chair 'lynchings': Anti-Obama protests gone too far?