A tree trimmer was apparently crushed to death by heavy palm fronds that fell on him while he worked, authorities told The Los Angeles Times.
Emergency personnel responding to a call on Saturday about a trapped tree trimmer in Hollywood found the body of an unidentified man buried in palm fronds about 30 feet above the ground, according to the Times.
“Palm fronds like this have been known to weigh as much as half a ton,” Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphrey told the newspaper. “In these scenarios, the tree trimmer can be crushed, asphyxiated or have their neck broken.”
Humphrey added that the cause of death has not yet been determined.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- Bronx Zoo mauling: Man reportedly wanted to be 'one with the tiger'
- Sheriff: Mother kills 2 kids, then hangs herself
- Florida politicians help Ryan woo Hispanics
- For first time, gay marriage may win statewide vote
- Cops: Shoplifter kills Wal-Mart security employee, then self
- Video: Model on airline dog death: ‘Something dramatic needs to be done’