View more videos at: http://nbcwashington.com.
A child fell out a window on the ninth floor of an apartment building in Silver Spring, Md., Thursday afternoon, according to Montgomery County police.
A tree helped break the four-year-old boy's fall, which occurred at about 3:15 p.m., NBCWashington.com reported.
The woman who found the child said he was crying in a bush. She did not know who his family was, and so called 911, Stone reported.
He suffered head injuries and a broken femur and was taken to Children’s Hospital in a serious condition, according to Montgomery County Fire and Rescue.
Family members were in the apartment when the boy fell, Stone reported.
Police and Child Protective Services staff are investigating the circumstances of the fall.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- Panetta: Cyber intruders have already infiltrated US systems
- Dottie Sandusky in letter to judge: 'Jerry is not the monster'
- Firefighters in pink? Bristol, Conn., mayor now OK with cancer fundraiser
- BP, Obama administration reportedly near deal on Gulf spill
- Stun gun used on pizza deliveryman leads to jail instead of food
- Why did environmental nonprofit donate to conservative pro-coal group?