Police are investigating a report of a Molotov cocktail thrown at Ballston Common Mall in Arlington, Va.
A mall in Virginia was evacuated midday Thursday after a man threw a Molotov-cocktail-type device from the top floor of the mall into the bottom level, authorities said.
Police said the man dropped a 40-ounce beer bottle with a lit wick from the third floor of the mall down into the basement-level food court before fleeing. The bottle, which was filled with an unknown substance with a fuse attached, shattered but didn't ignite.
Police were notified at 12:10 p.m. and found three more bottles on the third story of the mall.
There were no reports of injuries.
Police reported that witnesses said a male with curly hair and wearing a gray jacket dropped the bottle from the top level of the mall and then fled the scene.
The incident caused a traffic snarl, with eastbound Wilson Boulevard closed at North Taylor Street, NBCWashington.com reported.
The investigation is ongoing.
This is a breaking news story. Check back for further updates.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- Snakes in an SUV: Thief steals vehicle full of reptiles
- Ark., Miss. tornadoes leave thousands without power
- Plot to attack Federal Reserve in NYC alleged
- Stray anti-military vibes reverberate as thousands of vets head to college
- Bugs invade Utah town, covering kids, dogs and food
- Five bodies found at scene of Denver bar fire