Updated at 5:27 p.m. ET: Two children were found stabbed to death inside a Naperville, Ill., home, and the mother of one of them was taken into custody for questioning, authorities said.
Naperville police responding to a request for a welfare check on Tuesday night found the bodies of a boy and girl in a townhome. The children were believed to be her 8-year-old son and a 5-year-old girl she had been baby-sitting, law-enforcement sources said, according to the Chicago Tribune.
Two dogs were also found dead inside the home, a source told the Naperville Sun.
A law-enforcement official told the Chicago Tribune the woman had been distraught for several days after the death of her father.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- Blaze devastates NY community built by firefighters
- Tree toppled by Sandy exposes skeletal remains
- Romney training manual for poll watchers causes stir
- Sandy leaves NYC subway system licking its wounds
- Colorado teen charged as adult in killing of Jessica Ridgeway, 10