Carol Robinson / al.com
Birmingham police on Thursday arrested a costumed woman on a DUI charge after responding to a report that she was shot. A passerby called 911 after seeing the woman unresponsive at a traffic light.
Updated at 6:57 p.m. ET: Birmingham, Ala., police got a Halloween surprise when they responded to a concerned citizen’s 911 call of a woman shot in her SUV at a city intersection.
Officers found a woman bloodied and slumped over the wheel of her car at a traffic light Thursday morning, al.com reports.
But the blood wasn’t real, and she hadn’t been shot. Instead, police told al.com, she was just drunk and still dressed in her Halloween costume, which appeared to resemble something like a blood-splattered, pregnant zombie.
"We’re unsure the amount of time she was at the intersection, but we do know that it was not a very long period of time, due to the location. It’s a busy intersection and it would be easy to cause a delay in traffic," police Sgt. Johnny Williams told NBC News via email.
"I can say that we are uncertain what her costume represented, but it did entail face paint and a large amount of fake blood. She believed that officers pulled her over, but they had to wake her as she sat at a traffic signal. The car was still running (in gear) when officers managed to wake her. "
The woman was taken to the city jail on a DUI charge, al.com reported.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- Former Penn State president faces charges linked to Sandusky sex case
- NBC/WSJ/Marist polls: Obama leads in Iowa, running neck and neck in NH, Wis.
- 'Pure mayhem' as New York City tires to get back to work
- Campaign ad spending closes in on $1 billion
- Cops: At least 3 shot during Hollywood Halloween celebrations
- Diesel spill pollutes waters between Staten Island, NJ
- 2 children stabbed to death in Ill. home; victim's mom in custody