An Athens, Ga., woman was charged with murder Friday morning after being accused of killing her baby boy, possibly just minutes or hours after his birth.
About 1 p.m. ET Thursday, authorities responded to a 911 call reporting a lifeless newborn body discovered in an Athens home, according to a police news release. The baby's body had possible stab wounds and cuts, according to NBC station WXIA of Atlanta.
Police issued an arrest warrant Thursday night for the mother, 21-year-old Cassandra Elyse Norwood, WXIA reported. She was charged and booked in jail Friday morning.
Until the autopsy is complete, police are still not sure how soon after birth the baby was killed, but it may have been just minutes or hours, Athens-Clarke County police Capt. Clarence Holeman told NBC News Friday.
A motive in the death has not been released, according to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- Man gets 17 years for plot to bomb Pentagon, Capitol with model planes
- Hurricane Sandy provides 'wake-up call' for cities at risk of flooding
- Secret Service agent reportedly kills self after alleged affair revealed
- Nearly 30 Air Force Academy cadets injured as ritual turns into 'brawl'
- Italy police: Student stabs sleeping American friend while on drugs