Discuss as:

Police think they've nabbed mysterious Michigan highway shooter

Police have arrested a 43-year-old Michigan man in connection with dozens of shootings that terrorized commuters across metropolitan Detroit and resulted in at least one injury, authorities said Tuesday.

Ingham County Sheriff Gene Wriggelsworth said officers executed a search warrant late Monday night in Wixom, the Detroit suburb where the shootings began last month.

Charges are pending, according to The Detroit News.


“Potential evidence has been seized during this arrest and will be evaluated by our crime laboratories,” the sheriff’s department said in a statement. “Additionally, the suspect is known to have driven a vehicle matching the vehicle description provided by one of the victims.”

The shootings started Oct. 16 in Wixom, a blue-collar community northwest of Detroit. The shooter targeted vehicles along the I-96 corridor and connecting roads in Livingston, Ingham and Shiawassee counties, police said.

On Oct. 27, a man driving to Detroit for the World Series was shot in the hip on I-96 in Livingston County, according to NBC affiliate WDIV-TV in Detroit.

Watch US News crime videos on NBCNews.com

The 100-mile-long crime scene sliced through suburbia, shopping malls and farm pastures. Shootings had occurred during the day, at night, on weekdays and on weekends, spreading fear through the region and prompting the creation of a task force.

NBC News' Cate Cetta and Sevil Omer contributed to this report.

More content from NBCNews.com:

Follow US news from NBCNews.com on Twitter and Facebook