A California woman has been fired from her job as an ice cream store manager after she referred to President Barack Obama with a racial slur on Facebook and wrote “maybe he will get assassinated.”
Denise Helms, 22, of Turlock, posted the Facebook statement on Tuesday night after Obama won re-election to a second term. The post referred to the president using the N word. “Maybe he will get assassinated this term..!!” Helms wrote, according to the Modesto Bee.
Helms later deleted the post after negative reaction to it began circulating on social media.
In an interview with FOX40 News on Thursday, Helms wasn’t apologetic about what she posted and maintained she is not a racist.
“The assassination part is kind of harsh,” Helms told FOX40. “I’m not saying I’d go do that or anything like that, by any means, but if it was to happen I don’t think I’d care one bit.”
Helms worked at the Cold Stone Creamery franchise store in Turlock.
The national Cold Stone Creamery chain tweeted Thursday night that Helms "is no longer w/ the company."
On Friday, Chris Kegle, director of the Turlock Cold Stone Creamery store, said he was shocked by Helms’ post.
"We found her comments to be very disgusting, and they do not reflect our opinions here," Kegle told the Bee. "We never saw anything from her at work like those comments."
A Secret Service agent in the Sacramento office said the agency would look into Helms’ comments.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- Officials: Complaint about Broadwell sparked FBI inquiry that indicated Petraeus affair
- Earthquake rattles eastern Kentucky
- Petraeus' biographer under FBI investigation over access to his email, officials say
- Up to 4 feet of snow in Montana as storm hits West
- Ideas on protecting New York from future storms float to surface
- Volunteers help clean up areas hit hard by Sandy