Updated at 10:38 p.m. ET: Five people -- two adults and three children -- were found dead of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning in a garage Monday afternoon in Toledo, Ohio. Police said the deaths could be the result of a murder-suicide.
The victims were a 52-year-old woman, her three grandchildren – ages 5, 6 and 10 – and a 32-year-old man who was the uncle of one of the grandchildren, according to the Toledo Blade newspaper.
Emergency responders found the grandmother, uncle, three children, two dogs and a cat in a Honda Civic in the grandmother's garage. A Dodge truck in the garage had pumped exhaust -- carbon monoxide -- into the Civic.
The children's grandfather called police shortly after 3 p.m. asking for a wellness check. Firefighters ultimately had to break into the garage.
Toledo Police Sgt. Joe Heffernan said the grandmother and her daughter were involved in a custody battle over the children. The grandmother had been their primary caregiver over the last four years and the mother was in the process of regaining custody.
Authorities did not say whether a carbon monoxide detector was in the home, NBC 24 in Toledo reported.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- Feinstein: We need to talk to Petraeus about Benghazi
- Petraeus revelation began as cyber-harassment investigation
- Cops: Gunman killed in shootout at police station was troubled military vet
- Texas mom who threw kids off freeway released from jail
- Video: Post-surgery photo turns baby into Web sensation