For Salvation Army, there's gold in them thar kettles

Courtesy Salvation Army

An anonymous donor left this gold coin worth almost $2,000 in a Red Kettle in Houston on Tuesday.

Modern coins go "plink" when they drop into a Salvation Army kettle. But gold is a softer metal; it goes "plonk." And in a Christmas tradition that's 30 years old this year, the gold coins are once again starting to plonk into the iconic red kettles.

M. Alex Johnson M. Alex Johnson is a reporter for NBC News. Follow him on Twitter and Facebook.

It happened Nov. 9 in Bettendorf, Iowa, when a 1/4-ounce gold coin worth about $500 was dropped in a volunteer's pot outside Schnuck's Market. It was nestled in a cardboard setting with cellophane wrapped around it, so it stood out when the kettle was opened, said Holly Nomura, development director for the Salvation Army's Quad Cities Corps.

Then on Tuesday, outside a Sam's Club in southwest Houston, someone — no one but the donor knows who — left a 1-ounce gold coin worth almost $2,000 in the pot, wrapped inside a $1 bill. Attached was this note: "A child is born, Jesus! Merry Christmas!"

It's at least the 15th straight year that's happened in the Quad Cities and the fifth year in a row in Houston. And it's always "a wonderful start to our holiday fundraising efforts," said Lt. Josh McKain of the Salvation Army's Irvington, Texas, corps.

So far this season, gold coins worth many times their face values also have been left in Salvation Army kettles at a Sam's Club in Mishawaka, Ind.; at a Jewel-Osco store in Kankakee, Ill.; and in a kettle somewhere in Johnson County, Tenn. (It wasn't discovered until the bank started counting donations, so the precise location isn't known.)

The Red Kettle donation campaign began in San Francisco in 1891, and presumably gold coins — which were legal tender until 1933 — were part of the haul from the beginning.

But the specific tradition of anonymously leaving a single gold coin in the pot is more recent. Most accounts say it began 30 years ago, in Quincy, Ill., but there's a friendly dispute over that — the Quad Cities unit in Iowa says it believes that the tradition began there, though it acknowledges it can't prove it.

For years, someone would anonymously leave a single 1-ounce gold coin in a kettle in the Quad Cities (besides Bettendorf, the three other cities are Davenport, Iowa, and Rock Island and Moline, Ill.). That anonymous donor is believed to have died about four years ago, but not the tradition, as smaller gold coins have continued to pop up.

"Every year we have one," Nomura told NBC News.

U.S. Mint

U.S. Gold Eagles come in four denominations: $5, $10, $25 and $50. But their real value is tied to the market price of gold. A $10 piece like this one fetches about $500.

'Huge motivation'
The national Salvation Army says it's gotten more than 400 gold coins from anonymous donors over the last three decades. They come from several countries. Someone has left a South African Krugerrand in a pot in Mason City, Iowa, since 1997, for instance.

But they're often Gold Eagles, which are U.S. coins minted in four denominations: $5, $10, $25 and $50. They're 92 percent gold (and 3 percent silver), so their real worth fluctuates with the market price of gold. They're intended for collectors and for transactions involving precious metals, not for general circulation.

The condition and age of a coin can lower (or raise) its final value, but the U.S. Mint said that at Thursday's gold price, a 2012 1-ounce $50 piece in uncirculated condition would cost $1,978. A 1/4-ounce $10 piece (like the one donated in Bettendorf) would command $515.50, the Mint said.

Hoping to boost donations, Salvation Army bell ringers dance in the streets. NBC's Thomas Roberts reports.

Obviously, you can't just throw one of those into a coin roll and drop it off at the bank. Eventually, the coin left in Bettendorf will be taken to a dealer to be appraised and then sold, with the proceeds going toward the chapter's $725,000 fundraising goal for 2012.

Until then, it's in a safe, "except when the media wants to film it," Nomura told NBC News.

And that's not uncommon — the tradition has turned into a terrific publicity tool for the Salvation Army. If a gold coin shows up in a kettle somewhere, a press release is sure to follow.

But it also serves a larger purpose, said McKain, of the Texas chapter that got Tuesday's Gold Eagle.

"It's not only a significant boost for us this year as a monetary donation, but also a huge motivation for all of our kettle workers," he told NBC station KPRC of Houston. "Really, for all of us who are involved in the Red Kettle campaign."

NBC station KPRC of Houston contributed to this report.

More content from NBCNews.com:

Follow US news from NBCNews.com on Twitter and Facebook

People.com

Discuss this post

I just hope the publicity about the gold coins doesn't inspire some low-life in the areas mentioned to try grabbing the kettles.

• 5 votes
Reply#1 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:38 AM EST

Every year you hear this. Do you think it really happens or is it just for the public to feel they need to give more. I hope it really happens, but I can't help to wonder.

#1.1 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:59 AM EST

mary, it does happen. at least in the QCA ( quad city area) here in iowa dont know about the others

#1.2 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:10 AM EST

Of course it happens......its one way to be very anonymous! I try to be charitiable every month to someone in need. But for the most part its hard to do it anonymously when you have to deliver something Diapers, formula or a Car! But when to slip a small bobble in the red pot they have no idea who it was. In the rush for more taxes and less deductions, I hope charitable org's are not caught up in this shameful mess. I know many people who give to the less fortunate who may be forced to lessen their assistance.

• 5 votes
#1.3 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:31 AM EST

Sheasafatone Your a good persone. Sleep well tonight. The world needs more people like you.

• 4 votes
#1.4 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:59 AM EST

My thoughts exactly! God Bless those that are giving.

#1.5 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:40 AM EST

There are bad people everywhere, Kathy. There are people who are so evil, they will break into people's homes at Christmastime and steal every single present under the Christmas tree. They don't even know what's in there, they'll just steal it because they can.

There might be some kettles get robbed. There might be some people try to take the kettle and run. But we've got to continue to take care of each other, since our own government doesn't give a damn, and never has.

I hope that people will continue to give, because their gift DOES make a difference to someone.

• 4 votes
#1.6 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:44 AM EST

I volunteered to ring the bell for the Salvation Army about five years ago in front of a Wal-Mart store one night. It was freezing cold and not many folks were out shopping when a young man in a grey sweatshirt with the hood up, came walking rapidly towards the store entrance. I said "Merry Christmas" as he passed, then he thrust a fistful of crumpled up bills on top of the kettle and disappeared inside the door before I could hardly get "Thank you" out of my mouth.

I had to straighten out the bills to get them inside the little slot on the kettle and it amounted to a little over $ 300.

I've always wondered about that guy and his gift. Some people have said he probably stole the money, or it was drug money, etc., etc.

I don't know, but it sure was a nice thing to do.

• 1 vote
#1.7 - Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:46 AM EST
Quinta243.Deleted
Derrek243.Deleted
Derrek243.Deleted
Ledapex62Deleted

Quincy is a suburb of Chicago? Then Chicago has gotten much, much bigger since I was there, because the Quincy, Illinois that I know is 300 miles away and lies on the Mississippi River! :-)

Reply#2 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:51 AM EST

They do the same thing for stories in western Washington. Everything is a "suburb of Seattle," at least according to the media. Even if its two hours away.

#2.1 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:13 AM EST

correct ....also known as the granite city.

#2.2 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:14 AM EST

Thank goodness for kindness and charity to others. Whether dropping in a gold coin or just giving the loose change. Most are humbled at the thought of others yet in need. Bless these people; some giving from what little they have.

• 5 votes
        Reply#3 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:54 AM EST

God bless those kind souls who have decided that helping out the needy is best left in the hands of charities and people, not big government!

• 8 votes
        Reply#4 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:14 AM EST

Stop giving to this bigoted organization! There are plenty of ways to help during the holidays by giving to organizations that don't discriminate.

• 3 votes
        Reply#5 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:57 AM EST

And HOW is this organization, with such a deep RICH history bigoted and discriminatory?

Sorry, you lose, if you don't like, don't give, but don't scream foul and have nothing to validate your accusations.

• 5 votes
        #5.1 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:18 AM EST

and today's asinine post award " goes to....wait a minute folks...(drum roll please)....D. Nickerson of racebait acres

• 7 votes
        #5.2 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:18 AM EST

Bah humbug to you too D Nickerson

• 4 votes
        #5.3 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:21 AM EST

<a href="">Salvation Army Turns Away Gay Couple</a>

• 3 votes
        #5.4 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:22 AM EST

Salvation Army is a fundamentalist Christian church. They have a long history of discrimination and hatred against the gay community.

Search Wikipedia for "Salvation Army", then scroll down to Controversy.

• 4 votes
        #5.5 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:28 AM EST

IA.ScooterTramp

Wouldn't that be sexbait acres?

#5.6 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:39 AM EST

Last year, Jeffrey Curnow, the public and corporate relations manager for the Salvation Army, defended the position to Chicagoist, noting:

"I appreciate the opportunity to correct the record when it does come up. In fact, the Salvation Army serves countless people across the country every day from any variety of backgrounds, including gays and lesbians. This number probably reaches into the thousands, though it is impossible for us to determine, primarily because we would simply never ask about a person's sexual identity."

"Because The Salvation Army is a church we do have theological positions on a variety of topics. These positions are intended for our church members or those who are interested in our church. Just as you wouldn't expect everyone you meet to share all your ideas or beliefs, we would never expect everyone we help, our donors, or even our non-church-member employees to necessarily agree with these theological positions."

• 5 votes
        #5.7 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:51 AM EST

yep bill, at the time i just didn't know which group he meant. Guess i could never be a good bigot... too many groups and people i would have to remember to hate....now a days i have enough problem wondering "why did i come into this room?..........."

#5.8 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:36 AM EST

IA.ScooterTramp

Guess i could never be a good bigot... too many groups

Agreed. I usually go for the blanket disclaimer: "I'm not a racist/bigot/homophobe/fill-in-the-blank .... I hate everybody equally."

• 3 votes
        #5.9 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:20 PM EST

That's how I feel as I was turned down when I needed help.

#5.10 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:42 PM EST

Not only do the SA discriminate against certain groups, they also practice reverse discrimination. I worked an office job at an ARC for 5 years, until I wasn't 'ethnic' enough. One by one we "non-ethnics" were replaced, until the Major had only people of the correct skin tone working for him. If that wasn't bad enough, the way he got rid of us, so he didn't get into trouble with the eeoc, was to make us look like we had done something wrong, or to look incompetent in our jobs someway, after putting completely unbelievable pressures on us and setting us up for failure. This is all honest to god truth...and I know at least 20 others that would testify UNDER OATH that it is so. Except the ones that have actually died from stress related illnesses due to their jobs, and that too is the truth.

On top of that, (also truth, not sour grapes) these Majors and Captains that run these centers are the biggest liars, connivers and thieves that ever walked the face of the earth. I worked under two of them, and they would show up with nothing, and move on with 2 full-sized semi moving vans. There were entire sections of the warehouse filled with 'their' things that they had taken from donations, then transported by their 'special boys' in company trucks to their home. Yet if you were given a donation by a friend specifically to be given to the boys in the barracks, like shampoo or shaving cream or soap or socks, our Major would tell you that it couldn't be done, that it was to be sold in the store! (and yes; that was one of the reasons I was canned. I gave shampoo to a resident that couldn't afford it on the $7 a week salary they give.) There is no recourse for former employees: the SA is a RELIGIOUS organization, therefore they have NO FEDERAL EMPLOYMENT RULES they must follow.

These little stories are just the tip of the iceberg; the utter selfishness and non-humanity the Salvation Army practices...slave labor, forced religious acceptance, group punishment when someone errs, punishment when they don't make enough money...I could go on and on til next week. Why someone hasn't 'gone undercover' and investigated it is beyond me.

It really makes me terribly sad, really; I loved my job, and the times we got to actually help people were some of the best. But it's the underlying hypocrisy and the lying liars that ruins it all. This guy that keeps giving his gold coins to this organization is a schmuck...I have to wonder how many Majors have them in their personal collections.

#5.11 - Mon Dec 3, 2012 6:37 AM EST
            DardeDeleted

When I was a teenager and a young man in New York and Puerto Rico I used to jump at the chance to sell stuff and collect money for every fund raiser that came around for Care, the American Cancer Society, the Jerry Lewis kids, you name it. For years I was fortunate enough to never need anything from any one of them until I fell ill in the hospital just before hurricane Georges hit and my home was destroyed. While I was bedridden my relatives called FEMA and the Red Cross about my case, one of them recalls the Red Cross people driving around in rented Lincoln Town Cars having a good old time pretending to assess damage while they holed up in nice restaurants, while other folks on the street struggled to find drinking water, ice and a place for their kids to stay the night. Only the FEMA people (under the Clinton administration, no Michael Brown) took action when they saw my daughter's broken crib among what was left of my roofless house. They gave me a wonderful low-interest loan which not only helped me rebuild, but allowed me to convert to a two-story by doing the work myself when I was able.

Later in life I would discover that a lot of these charities had appalling records, fund-eating "administrative costs," and were being used as tax shelters for the rich. Recently I learned that the the American Cancer Society had as one of it's principals at one time that Mengele-style homicidal supremacist, Cornelius P. Rhoads.

I used to be bright-eyed, pollyanic and naive in my youth, but after living/working overseas and in the U.S. I have become more realistic about people, now I believe that charity belongs close to the heart, so these days I spend all my charitable efforts helping family get ahead; older and much wiser, I'll never again be foolish with my time, money and energy.

• 3 votes
            Reply#7 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:14 AM EST

The best kind of donation... Anonymous and not expecting any recognition or thanks. Why can't more people be like this?

• 4 votes
            Reply#8 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:16 AM EST

we all are be it a couple bucks or a mere qaurter, not every has a couple gold coins layin around. thats what i like about it.

• 4 votes
            #8.1 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:22 AM EST

Christian giving, Let's see when an Atheist gives like this anonymously...The few that do in comparison want EVERYONE to know who they are.

Kudos...but giving is common with churches, but you'd have to go to one to be a part of that...

Reply#9 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:20 AM EST

Just because they don't leave a note saying "Jesus Sucks" doesn't mean athiests don't donate. It must be quite the gift to know how every athiest behaves.

• 8 votes
            #9.1 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:25 AM EST

LOL,

Yeah right, happens all the time in their church too...

Sorry, you missed the point sweety...

read posts on most articles here where Christians are toasted by you posters, thrown under by MSNBC...yet clearly this person was Christian and NO mention...

But that's fine...anonymous Christian gives would have stewed the Atheist into a frenzy, so may be better to not rattle those cages...Acceptance IS a 2 way street, some day, when Atheist develop beyond Neanderthal status they'll show the tolerance they so greatly expect from Christians. Not there yet though, are we?

#9.2 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:29 AM EST

"Kudos...but giving is common with churches, but you'd have to go to one to be a part of that."

What a backhanded way to commend someone. When did Jesus ever lift someone up by saying, "Good job and all, but this is old hat for us "real" Christians"? And then to complain about atheists being judgmental and unaccepting, and calling them Neantherthals in your next breath.

For being a Christian, Jerry, you appear to not be actually paying attention to the Christ part.

• 7 votes
            #9.3 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:39 AM EST

Giving is common to humanity.

Atheists give just like Christians and guarnateed they do it anonymously just the same. Only their donations aren't given with the underlying premise that they're going to be rewarded for it later by a Sky Daddy. One might call an atheist's donation as true generosity, the ultimate giving without expecting ANYTHING in return. Ponder that, you over-righteous ass.

• 8 votes
            #9.4 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:40 AM EST

I remember reading an article a while ago that studied the reasons for giving. It found atheists give for more altruistic reasons than church goers. It didn't say what prompted the religious to give, but it did say they were less motivated by empathy.

• 4 votes
            #9.5 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:50 AM EST

Let me guess ... you read that article in an atheist publication or website.

#9.6 - Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:52 PM EST

guys try this one wierd trick for low "T" drop a coin

Reply#10 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:23 AM EST

I've never known the Salvation Army (Sally) to turn away gay people. I do know that what the Red Cross does is give loans, not anything else and hasn't for may years. That's the organization I would never give a peny to. Sally is the only organization of its kind I would give to.

As for Sally, they're always first on the scene of any disaster, even if they just have coffee and a donut, possibly a sandwich. Regardless of leanings For anyone in need. They have free programs to help addicts get off drugs or alchohol (booze is just a legal drug), free lodging for single men or women, families. And again, I've never known them to turn away anyone, regardless of what the teachings Sally has and believes in.

Perhaps, Darde, you have Sally misstaken for a different organization. Again, I've never known them to turn anyone, regardless of race, creed, color, sexual orientation, whatever away for any reason unless that person turns up intoxicated. If that was the case, I'd turn away an intoxicated person.

The Army is one of the few organizations that depends entirely on charitable giving. The only time they really ask for anything is during the Red Kettle season, although people give to them year round.

If you can give me one solid, verifiable time a gay was turned away, well bring it on.

• 1 vote
                Reply#11 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:29 AM EST

Jackieboy,

I can't provide cites or links, but I have read many articles and heard many personal stories of the Salvation Army turning people away because they were gay or athiest. I remember one from earlier this year, the SA told a homeless gay couple they could stay in the shelter only if they rejected their homosexuality. Again, I can't provide a link so you will have to trust me. They also require you to accept a higher power to get help with drugs and alcohol, same as AA.

• 1 vote
                #11.1 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:25 AM EST

I cant provide links either......but I read an article about real live unicorns!

#11.2 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:37 AM EST

ecf

yep i remember one time i dropped some change in and one of them spotted that "atheist" look about me and they dug the money out and threw it in my face....oh the shame...the absolute horror... the embarrassment and abstract humility i had to endure....the pain will go on forever......

#11.3 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:49 AM EST

Honey, you're on the Internet.

A spokesman for the organization said the Salvation Army would rather walk away from $70 million a year in city contracts and abandon the clients it serves, including foster kids and people with HIV, rather than betray its fundamentalist Christian faith by providing the healthcare benefits.
                www.wisconsingazette.com/breaking-news/salvation-army-would-close-soup-kitchens-over-gay-benefits.html

"The Salvation Army has a history of active discrimination against gays and lesbians. While you might think you're helping the hungry and homeless by dropping a few dollars in the bright red buckets, not everyone can share in the donations," Bil Browning notes on The Bilerico Project. "The organization also has a record of actively lobbying governments worldwide for anti-gay policies -- including an attempt to make consensual gay sex illegal."

The Salvation Army says it will close soup kitchens for New York's homeless if firms doing business with the city are required to offer health benefits to the domestic partners of their gay and lesbian staffers.
                americablog.com/2012/11/salvation-army-anti-gay.html

Ryan: According to the Salvation Army, [gay people] deserve death. How do you respond to that, as part of your doctrine?
                Craibe: Well, that’s a part of our belief system.
                Ryan: So we should die.
                Craibe: You know, we have an alignment to the Scriptures, but that’s our belief.
                www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2012/06/salvation-army-official-gays-deserve-death/53885/

New York City — The Salvation Army is threatening to close soup kitchens for tens of thousands of New York's homeless and walk away from other projects if the city enacts legislation requiring firms that do business with New York to offer health benefits to the partners of gay staffers.
                chicago.gopride.com/news/article.cfm/articleid/1824489

And the granddaddy of them all.
                americablog.com/2012/11/salvation-army-anti-gay.html

#11.4 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:42 PM EST

Last year when this crap came out a guy said he was gay and had been helped by them.A lot of groups don't condone homosexuality,but won't turn them away.By all means turn your back on them.Just makes YOU easier to spot

• 1 vote
                #11.5 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:32 PM EST

Along with this individual's generosity, it's good to see someone donate some REAL money to charity, rather than this soon-to-be impotent fiat paper "money" that everyone is fooled into thinking is valuable. In a few years, it will be good for nothing more than toilet paper - or maybe burning it to stay warm.

• 1 vote
                Reply#12 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:32 AM EST

One more thing, to those who read this. I am not, nor ever have been, a believer in the teachings of Sally, nor am I a member of the organization. And I don't ring a bell at the Kettle.

So you folks that don't want to give, I say don't and a pox on all your heads. Give to them. At least they ask nothing in return. And thank them if you ever need something and have to go to them.

Reply#13 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:37 AM EST

I am glad this tradition continues for the Salvation Army. A great group of honest people whose CEO makes nothing and 95% of every dime goes directly to the poor. The Salvation Army is in stark contrast to the "Goodwill" group that donates nothing and keeps all the "goodwill" in their own pockets. Do not give or buy from "Goodwill" Look it up - they keep every dime in that "for profit" company run by a man who pays himself millions every year.

Reply#15 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:21 AM EST

The Salvation Army does help a lot of people. And they do proselytize against homosexuality as a 'sin'. My youngest cousin and his wife are Captains in the Army. He does not personally preach this, but confirmed to me that it is a organizational belief. I used to donate and volunteer at the Army, and once donated my old car to them, but now, as an atheist, I primarily donate to Doctors without Borders, to the vaccination drives for poor children, and to the city food bank.

When I used to go to church, I donated a sizable amount of my income directly to the church and got to write it off my taxes as 'charitable giving'. But the church can use that 'charity' for anything - upkeep on the building, mowing the lawn, building the tennis court, salaries, utilities. A very small portion of that money goes to missionaries - which I don't think is charity - and to sometimes helping members in need. It's a joke. When I see a church with tennis courts, a basketball court, a swimming poo, a gymn, I realize that the members are just funding their own country club with deductible donations.

Reply#16 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:47 AM EST

What a lovely gesture. The Salvation Army does a lot of good both here in the U.S. and abroad for our soldiers. I try to drop something in every day during the season.

Reply#17 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:52 AM EST

#17.1 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:33 PM EST

d nickerson-if you have to pick on someone how about all those faux charities like amvets-rake in millions and donate less than 10% of profits to vets. salvation army isn't perfect but you can count on them during natural disasters-provided free shelter, food, clothing during the san diego wild fires. every down and outer here in san diego knows where to go for a meal or a pair of shoes. i won't even respond to racist accusation---but then you're trolling-aren't you?

• 1 vote
                    Reply#18 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:18 AM EST

Ever since I read the article about one of their "army" leaders making a statement that gays should be killed, I would not drop 1/2 a cent in the red bucket for this HATE GROUP posing as a charity! No more money for them. If they are such a Christian charity, then they should respect everyone, regardless of their sexual orientation.

• 1 vote
                    Reply#19 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:55 AM EST

An internet kick in the sack for whiny nay-sayers .

#19.1 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:30 PM EST

Tim, that is absolutely absurd.

The Salvation Army feed thousands of homeless people every day worldwide regardless of race, creed, color, gender, etc. etc.

Just because you spout that stuff doesn't make it true.

#19.2 - Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:39 PM EST

you got a 1/2 cent?....it shows...lots of folks on here have no cents....

• 1 vote
                        Reply#20 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:05 PM EST

What about the rest of the year?

Reply#21 - Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:47 PM EST

My only problem with Salvation Army is how big a chunk the CEO takes from the proceeds.

• 1 vote
                          Reply#22 - Sat Dec 1, 2012 12:02 AM EST

Laobao,

Get your facts straight. The Salvation Army has a husband and wife CEO team that makes less than $ 100,000 combined total pay for two full-time workers. Everything else goes directly to feeding thousands of homeless, hungry people every day of the year.

Nobody is getting rich at the Salvation Army no matter who kind of propaganda you spread.

#22.1 - Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:42 PM EST

I'm sorry, you're right.

I was confusing Salvation Army with American Red Cross (where the CEO pulls in 650,000+/yr).

Again, my apologies.

#22.2 - Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:15 PM EST

This organization receiving gold coins is one of the most bigoted in the Nation and goes tax free. They won't allow gay volunteers, have ancient notions about women's roles; I agree that there are many ways to help the poor during the holidays. They are also huge landowners / landlords. Please do some research on the internet about the Salvation Army before you head Jesus' message to help the poor. And please don't disregard this as nonsence before you read about the Salvation Army.

• 1 vote
                              Reply#23 - Sat Dec 1, 2012 6:41 AM EST

..And they've helped people millions of times.That is why millions of people,like myself,donate to them

• 3 votes
                              #23.1 - Sat Dec 1, 2012 4:06 PM EST

I ring the bell for the Salvation during many Christmas Seasons. The money goes directly to feeding the thousands of hungry, homeless people in the world every day, without any regard to their color, race, creed, religion, gender, sexual preference, etc. etc.

The best charity out there!

• 1 vote
                              #23.2 - Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:44 PM EST

I just invested $50K into my gold ira Thanks to Regal Assets -

Reply#24 - Sat Dec 8, 2012 8:09 AM EST

Wish I could get help once in awhile, I have helped others but then end up getting screwed over, that's why I don't help or give money to anyone anymore. Everything I have, I have earned myself, I got myself to worry about now days.

Reply#25 - Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:48 PM EST

Reply#26 - Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:49 PM EST
                                    Ledapex62Deleted
                                    You're in Easy Mode. If you prefer, you can use XHTML Mode instead.
                                    As a new user, you may notice a few temporary content restrictions. Click here for more info.