Up to six tornadoes slammed four southern states. In Florida, 40 homes were damaged and 12 were completely destroyed. TODAY's Al Roker reports.
At least six tornadoes ripped through four southern states Monday evening, blowing over gas pumps and destroying homes.
The hardest hit areas by the unusual December tornadoes were in Florida and Alabama.
In Edgewater, Fla., 40 homes were damaged and 12 completely destroyed. There were two people with minor injuries but no deaths, the Edgewater Fire Department reported. Most of the damage was inside Terra Mar Village, a mobile home community.
The city firehouse in Gonzales, La., was badly damaged by one of the tornadoes. The fire crew, which was out at the time, was forced to return to the building, The Weather Channel reported.
Wind from the tornado blew through the firehouse’s back doors and blew out the front of the building. Inmates were sent out by the sheriff's office to help clean up the wreckage.
In Alabama, there were no reported injuries or deaths, the Birmingham Fire Department reported, but a gas station off I-165 had its pumps blown over.
The Weather Channel reported widespread tree damage and structural damages to buildings in other areas of Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama.
The forecast for Tuesday calls for a slight risk of tornadoes in areas stretching from Daytona Beach to Fort Meyers, Fla. Damaging winds, spotty hail and three to four inches of rainfall are expected.
Please check back for more on this developing story.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- More graves found at notorious Florida reform school for boys
- Marijuana sales? Lots of obstacles still to weed out in Washington, Colorado
- California exodus as thousands quit state for Texas, Ariz., elsewhere
- Banking giant HSBC to pay record $1.9 billion in money-laundering case
- New York Hasidic counselor found guilty of repeatedly sexually abusing girl
- Pentagon identifies SEAL killed during hostage rescue
- Fewer homeless vets expected; 'alarming' trend in young
- Aurora shooting suspect James Holmes' notebook at center of hearing
- Video:Troubling signs in paradise