Officials say a man in Texas is dead after being dumped into a garbage truck's compactor on Wednesday morning.
The man was reportedly sleeping in a trash bin when its contents were dumped into the truck's compactor, NBCDFW.com reported. Police say the incident happened before 7 a.m. local time Wednesday outside an auto parts store in Fort Worth, according to The Dallas Morning News.
When the truck crushed its load, the garbage truck driver reportedly heard a screaming man, NBCDFW.com reported.
Fort Worth Police Department Spokesperson Sharron Neal said the man was transported to an area hospital where he later died. Neal could not confirm to NBC News whether or not the man was homeless.
The Tarrant County Medical Examiner will determine his identity and the cause of the man's death.
Temperatures in the area dropped into the 20s overnight Tuesday, according to NBCDFW.com.
NBCDFW.com's Frank Heinz, Christina Miralla and Kevin Stewart contributed to this story.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- Oregon shopping mall gunman identified; motive unclear
- Girl, 15, shot in Oregon mall cheats death twice
- 'Unique' smuggling attempt: $42,500-worth of marijuana shot into Ariz. by cannon
- Much-criticized 'drum major' quote on Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial to be removed
- Video: Driver ticketed for truck covered in Christmas lights