Discuss as:

Split by Superstorm Sandy, iconic New Jersey house demolished

View more videos at: http://nbcnewyork.com.

UNION BEACH, N.J. -- A 150-year-old house that was so badly damaged by Superstorm Sandy in Union Beach, N.J., that it was featured on the cover of Newsweek was demolished Friday, after its owners determined it would be too costly to save.

Jon Zois, who has lived in the home for the past six months, previously told NBCNewYork.com that his father and aunt, who own the home, had engineers look at whether it could be saved.


They were told that it could be repaired, but the family ultimately decided reconstruction was cost-prohibitive and had it torn down.

Also on NBCNewYork.com: Strong winds, heavy rain lash tri-state area

The home was demolished Friday. The front door was saved and will be converted into a table at a local restaurant, NBCNewYork.com has learned.

The Zois family said they would like to build a new house that looks just like the one that would captivate the nation as an image of destruction, but that any new house they built would be constructed to withstand a storm like Sandy.

Mario Tama / Getty Images

The iconic Princess Cottage, built in 1855, is seen on Nov. 21 in Union Beach, N.J.