A mother and her four children died in an early-morning house fire in Oklahoma City on Wednesday.
The children – three girls and a boy – were between the ages of 2 and 8, said Major Tammy McKinney, spokesperson for the Oklahoma City Fire Department. A man, the mother’s boyfriend, is in critical condition at an area hospital.
The fire was accidental, McKinney said, caused by a space heater being too close to combustibles.
There were no functioning smoke detectors in the house, she said.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- Holiday travelers stranded as snow and wild weather heads east
- 'We are being shot at': Ambushed NY firefighters' chilling plea for help
- Video: One man works 100 jobs in one year
- Glimpse the new face of job security
- Video: Reports of Pyrex cookware breakage on the rise