Discuss as:

Mother, four kids die in Oklahoma City house fire

A mother and her four children died in an early-morning house fire in Oklahoma City on Wednesday.

The children – three girls and a boy – were between the ages of 2 and 8, said Major Tammy McKinney, spokesperson for the Oklahoma City Fire Department. A man, the mother’s boyfriend, is in critical condition at an area hospital.

The fire was accidental, McKinney said, caused by a space heater being too close to combustibles.

There were no functioning smoke detectors in the house, she said.

More content from NBCNews.com:

Follow US news from NBCNews.com on Twitter and Facebook