The often-absent father of a 13-year-old girl who was shot to death on a Florida school bus in November has committed suicide, the Broward County Sheriff's Office said Friday.
Armando "Alex" Guzman-Cirino had a history of jail time and had been largely absent while his daughter Lourdes "Jina" Guzman DeJesus was growing up, family members told the Miami Herald.
But Guzman-Cirino had attended Jina’s funeral and had been very depressed since then, the sources said, according to the Herald report.
Jina was killed while riding a school bus on Nov. 20, when a 15-year-old boy pulled a .40-caliber handgun from his backpack and it went off, shooting her in the neck. She was one of about eight kids on the school bus, which dropped kids at several schools.
The boy is charged with manslaughter and carrying a concealed firearm, NBCMiami.com reported, and prosecutors have said they plan to try him as an adult.
Guzman-Cirino, 34, was found dead in his car in a parking garage in Lauderdale Lakes, a small city just northwest of Fort Lauderdale. The Sheriff’s Office said he died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to his head.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- Woman charged in connection with fatal firefighter shootings
- New York City homicides, shootings at modern record lows
- Sheriff orders armed 'posse' to patrol schools
- Landslides take out Amtrak service in rainy Northwest
- The year in quotes quiz: Test your knowledge!
- Video: TODAY's most newsworthy stories of 2012