Discuss as:

Adam Lanza's body claimed by father for burial

The body of the gunman who killed 26 people at Sandy Hook Elementary School in one of the nation’s deadliest mass shootings was claimed last week by his father for burial, according to a family spokesman. 

Adam Lanza’s father, Peter, claimed his son's remains on Thursday, and private arrangements were held over the weekend at an undisclosed location, a spokesman for Peter Lanza said.

Twenty-year-old Adam Lanza gunned down 20 first-graders and six school staffers on Dec. 14 after first killing his mother in the home they shared in the quiet New England hamlet of Newtown, Conn. Lanza died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound as police stormed the school during his rampage.

A private service for his mother, Nancy Lanza, was held earlier this month in New Hampshire. The Lanzas  divorced a few years ago, and Peter was said to be estranged from his son. He has stayed largely out of sight since the killings.

An investigation into the massacre, which President Obama on Sunday called the worst day of his presidency, is ongoing. A federal task force on gun violence is expected to give its recommendations to Obama next month.

Brendan Smialowski / AFP - Getty Images

A nation mourns after the second deadliest school shooting in U.S. history left 20 children and six staff members dead at Sandy Hook Elementary.

More content from NBCNews.com:

Follow US news from NBCNews.com on Twitter and Facebook