Caleb Grotberg, 32.
Portland, Ore. police arrested a man early Monday morning after his girlfriend reported that he had choked her with his dreadlocks.
Officers responded to the domestic violence call around 2:30 a.m. at the woman’s Southeast Portland home.
The woman told police that her boyfriend, Caleb Grotberg, 32, had brown dreadlocked hair down the middle of his back. Officers caught up with him after canvassing the neighborhood, according to a police report.
Grotberg was booked into Multnomah County Jail on suspicion of kidnapping in the second degree and strangulation, among other domestic violence felony crimes. He was no longer listed on the jail roster on Tuesday afternoon.
The woman was taken to a Portland hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
“I have never heard of anybody using dreadlocks as a weapon,” said Portland Police Sgt. Pete Simpson. “Not to make light of a domestic violence situation, because it was terrifying, but this is a very Portland-centric type of situation.”
More content from NBCNews.com:
- 'Help me!': 911 call reveals teen's desperation after relatives shot in Aurora theater
- FBI: James Holmes' booby-trap used remote-control car, frying pan
- 'Wake-up call': Chicago set to break 73-year-old snowless record
- NOAA: 2012 was warmest year ever for US, second most 'extreme'
- Gabby Giffords launches group to counter gun lobby
- Lottery winner killed by cyanide was immigrant, family man