Seven Chicago Public Schools students were taken to the hospital early Wednesday after someone reportedly sprayed Mace in the school cafeteria.
Ambulances were sent to Beasley Magnet Academic Center on the 5200 block of South State Street around 9:20 a.m. local time.
Chicago Public Schools spokeswoman Marielle Sainvilus said the students were sprayed with "an unidentified liquid by a fellow student" and transported as a precautionary measure.
Sainvilus said parents of the affected students were notified and a letter and robocalls went out to all parents. She said it's not clear what was contained in the liquid, but reports at the school said it was believed to be Mace.
"We thank the principal and the Beasley elementary school staff for taking quick and appropriate action to contain this incident and to get the school operating back to normal," Sainvilus said.
Also on NBCChicago.com: Chicago ranked worst US city for bed bugs