Discuss as:

Trio held in connection with sexual assault in wake of teen girl's suicide

View more videos at: http://nbcbayarea.com.

Three teenage boys are under arrest in connection with the alleged sexual assault of a 15-year-old California girl who later took her own life.

Pott family via NBC Bay Area

Audrie Pott committed suicide on Sept. 10, 2012, eight days after she was allegedly assaulted.

Attorney Robert Allard, who represents the girl’s family, says the teen committed suicide after photos of the alleged attack were published online.

“Based on what we know, she was unconscious, there were multiple boys in the room with her,” Allard said. “They did unimaginable things to her while she was unconscious.”

On Sept. 10, 2012, eight days after the alleged assault, the girl, Audrie Pott, committed suicide.

NBC News does’t normally identify victims of sexual assault or suicide, but the girl’s name has been used in this report with her parents’ permission. They are hoping the story will help prevent something like this from happening to anyone else.

'My life is ruined'
The family’s attorney says the girl took her life after learning that her attackers took photos during the assault, and then published them online and showed them around Saratoga High School in Saratoga, Calif.

According to Allard, in the days that followed the attack, the girl wrote on her Facebook page: “The whole school knows… My life is ruined.”

The Santa Clara District Attorney’s Office would not comment on the case because the suspects are minors.

More news from NBCBayArea.com

The Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Department said all three boys are 16 years old and were arrested on charges of sexual battery.  Two of them were arrested on the Saratoga High School campus Thursday morning and the third was arrested in Gilroy, Calif.

Allard says two of the boys are students at Saratoga High School and the third is a student at Christopher High School in Gilroy.

All three are being held at Juvenile Hall until a detention hearing on Monday or Tuesday, but have not been charged with a crime.

The girl’s parents, who didn’t find out about the attack until after their daughter’s death, want the boys prosecuted as adults.