Justin Lane / EPA
A moment of silence is marked on the steps of the Massachusetts State House one week since the bombings at the finish line of the Boston Marathon.
Boston observed a moment of silence at 2:50 p.m. Monday – exactly one week after an annual springtime rite in the city was shattered by a pair of explosions that killed three people and injured more than 200, including some who lost legs.
From the Watertown police department whose officers searched their town for a bombing suspect to the Massachusetts State House to the neighborhood where a little boy who died in the attack had lived, the city remembered those it lost.
A full minute of silence was observed at the request of Gov. Deval Patrick, Mayor Thomas Menino, and charitable organization One Fund Boston. The White House announced that President Obama marked the occasion, as did the New York Stock Exchange. Governors in Maine, New Hampshire, and Connecticut asked residents of their states to take a minute to commemorate those killed and injured as well.
Earlier Monday, a funeral for victim Krystle Campbell, 29, at St. Joseph’s Church in Medford was packed to overflowing, with a thousand more people standing outside. Gov. Patrick was joined inside by Attorney General Martha Coakley and Cardinal Sean Patrick O’Malley.
“The great irony was it was so peaceful, loving, and supportive, and we were all there for a senseless, angry, horrific tragedy,” Medford Mayor Michael McGlynn said after the ceremony. “Everybody knew her as someone with a great sense of humor. They say at times she was a little loud but everybody loved her for it.”
About one thousand members of Teamsters Local 25 gathered at St. Joseph’s Church earlier in the day after the Westboro Baptist Church said they planned to demonstrate, according to local president Sean O’Brien. But no members of Westboro showed up, he said.
On Sunday, a wake was held for Campbell, and lines stretched out the door and down the street from the funeral home. The memorial, which was scheduled to last an hour, went on for five, WHDH reported.
Medford draped a 45-by-90-foot American flag across the front of city hall on Monday morning in honor of Campbell and the other victims. McGlynn said he had the flag commissioned after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
Jim Bourg / Reuters
Two-year-old Wesley Brillant of Natick, Massachusetts kneels in front of a memorial to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings near the scene of the blasts on Boylston Street in Boston, Massachusetts, April 21, 2013.
At Boston University, where Chinese graduate student Lu Lingzi, 23, was working toward a master’s degree in statistics before being killed in the explosions near the marathon finish line, a public memorial was planned for 7 p.m. Monday night.
A memorial scholarship has been instituted in Lu’s memory.
“There isn’t an individual at BU who didn’t have some connection to people who were there,” university trustee Kenneth Feld said in a release from the school.
Over the weekend, more balloons and teddy bears were added to a makeshift memorial for 8-year-old Martin Richard of Dorchester, who died last Monday as well. His mother Denise and sister Jane, 7, were wounded in the blast; Denise required brain surgery and Jane lost a leg to the pressure-cooker bombs set off on the race sidelines.
The Richard family thanked law enforcement for “a job well done” in a statement released after the capture of bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
Richard was remembered at a packed mass on Sunday at the family’s St. Ann Parish in Dorchester, where neighbors have said his parents are active community members.
“Our entire community shares the grief and suffering felt by our young family,” the parish’s Father Sean Connor said in a letter on the church’s website. “We can only imagine the suffering that the Richard family carries today, as a result of the Boston Marathon tragedy, will be with them each day of their lives.”
Kevork Djansezian / Getty Images
Running shoes are placed at a makeshift memorial for victims near the finish line of the Boston Marathon bombings at the intersection of Newbury Street and Darthmouth Street.
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology mourned the loss of a popular campus safety officer who only got to enjoy a little more than a year on the job. Officer Sean Collier was shot and killed by the suspected bombers late on Thursday night, police said. The men shot the 26-year-old Collier multiple times while he was sitting in his vehicle, according to authorities.
A memorial service for Collier has been planned for Wednesday, April 24, at noon, according to a release from MIT police. Collier’s family has requested that his wake and funeral services remain private.
The proceeds from a Brahms performance at MIT on Sunday that drew hundreds of singers from local choruses were donated to One Fund Boston. The school also created the Sean Collier Memorial fund, which will support an award for individuals “who demonstrate the values of Officer Collier,” according to a letter from University President L. Rafael Reif on Monday.
On Monday, the areas where the blasts occurred were transitioning from crime scene to street scene. Mementos left at a makeshift memorial on Boylston Street are being moved to a park at nearby Copley Square; city workers on Sunday began removing the running shoes, flowers, and notes left by friends, family, and strangers with the goal of having all pieces of the memorial moved by the end of the week.
Students and faculty at the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth, where alleged bomber and Suspect 2 Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was enrolled as a sophomore, planned to observe the minute of silence. A student vigil on campus was planned for 5 p.m.
The mayor’s office released a five-step plan on Sunday to reopen the area around the finish line on Boylston Street that included testing buildings near the blast sites and removing debris.
“Nearly a week ago our city took a deep breath and was forced to dive into a pool of uncertainty and fear,” Menino said in a press release. “Friday as our officers reported to the world ‘we got him,’ a huge sigh of relief was felt across our great city and nation so now it is time for us to start moving our city forward.”
Dominick Reuter / Reuters
Cheers filled the streets after a Boston Marathon bombing suspect was captured alive but wounded Friday night — following a daylong manhunt that shut down the city.
- 'Adorable' boy, 8, mourned after Boston Marathon blasts
- Second Boston Marathon bombing victim identified as 29-year-old woman
- Outpouring of grief for third Boston victim, Chinese university student
This story was originally published on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:39 AM EDT