Discuss as:

'I want him to suffer': Brothers of kidnap suspect say they hope he rots in jail

The brothers of Ariel Castro, the Cleveland man accused of imprisoning three women for a decade, say that they hope he rots in jail and consider him a “monster,” not a brother.

The brothers, Pedro and Onil Castro, were arrested last week along with Ariel Castro, but authorities later said that they had no evidence against the brothers and released them.

“I hope he rots in that jail,” Onil Castro told CNN. “I want him to suffer in that jail to the last extent. I don’t care if they even feed him.”

Pedro Castro said that he would have reported Ariel Casto to authorities if he had suspected anything, “brother or no brother.” He said that he would have grabbed him by the neck and asked, “What’s up with this, man?”

Both brothers said that Ariel Castro gave them a fist bump when they last saw him, in jail last week. Onil Castro said that he was in a separate cell when Ariel walked by and said, “You’re never going to see me again. I love you, bro.”

The three women — Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight — were freed May 6 after Berry broke part of a door and screamed for help. All three have been released from the hospital and are asking for privacy.

Ariel Castro is being held on $8 million bond. He is charged with three counts of rape and four counts of kidnapping, one for each of the women and one for a daughter, now 6, whom Berry bore in captivity.

Investigators have said that Ariel Castro sometimes took the girl out in public. Pedro Castro told CNN that he once saw them together at a McDonald’s and asked who the girl was. He said Ariel Castro claimed the girl belonged to a girlfriend.

The brothers told CNN that Ariel Castro kept parts of the house blocked off with curtains, explaining them as a way to save on the gas bill. They said he always had background noise going and never let them past the kitchen.

Emmanuel Dunand / AFP - Getty Images

A daring escape and a dramatic 911 call led to the rescue of three women who allegedly had been held captive for years inside a home in Cleveland.

“There would be times when we wouldn’t see him for a month, two weeks,” Onil Castro said. “Mama used to say, ‘Check your brother, check on your brother. He lives alone in that house. He’s a loner.’

“So I would text him and he would text me back: ‘What are you doing?’ ‘I’m fine.’”

The brothers appeared in court with Castro on Thursday, but on misdemeanor charges unrelated to the kidnappings.

Pedro Castro pleaded no contest to a 2011 charge related to an open container of alcohol, and a judge dismissed an open-container charge and a drug charge against Onil Castro, a court-appointed lawyer said.

Both men, living in an undisclosed location for now, said that they had been damaged by initially appearing as suspects in the kidnapping. They said that they had received death threats.

“I feel trapped for what somebody else did, and it’s a family member,” Pedro Castro said. “You already got your monster. Please give us our freedom. I want the world to know this.”

This story was originally published on